[pstricks] [animate.sty] producing a sequence of Pstricks files

Alan Ristow ristow at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Feb 9 21:40:42 CET 2008

Patrick Drechsler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to produce a sequence of individual pstricks files. Is
> there a LaTeX (or Pstricks) method to do this?

In the past I have done that by simply creating a .tex file with
\pagestyle{empty} that contains nothing but my PSTricks code, compiling,
and converting to .ps or .pdf by the usual means. I use Ghostscript
(usually via Ghostview or ps2eps) to convert the .ps to .eps.

> Example: Can I produce these 3 files from a single tex file?

To produce multiple graphic files from a single .tex file I find pst-pdf
handy. While it is intended for using pdfTeX with PSTricks, it has the
"side effect" of producing a .ps file and .pdf file containing nothing
but the graphics in your document, one to a page.

 From there, getting individual .pdf graphics is easy using pdftk with
the "burst" option.

Getting individual .eps graphics requires a little bit more work. First,
I use psselect (part of PSUtils) to extract each page to an individual
.ps file. Then I use ps2eps (a Perl script that is easy to google) to
convert each file to .eps via Ghostscript. This process would be much
simpler if it were scripted, particularly since psselect doesn't seem to
work in batch mode, but I haven't gotten around to doing that.

Of course, I'm always interested in anything that might be
simpler/better, but so far this has worked pretty well for me.

Alan