[pstricks] Creating ER Diagrams

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 8 21:42:26 CET 2008

   I need to prepare several ER (Entity Relationship) diagrams of database
schema(e?). I tried Dia, but didn't like the widget set nor the way the
application works. Went back to Xfig (which I've used extensively) which has
a different ER widget set. Filled a page, but without one table because
there was no room. And, the relationship diamonds take a lot of space.

   There are other ER symbol sets, for example, the information engineering
one with multitailed lines and circles. I think this would allow me to put
more information on a page.

   Is PSTricks a good tool for this? Will it lay out the widgets for optimal
fit for me?

   My copy of the LaTeX Graphic Companion, Second Edition, arrived a couple
of days ago; it's certainly a change from the First Edition. The authors
suggest that different graphics tools are best suited for specific types of
drawings. I am looking for the one that will allow me to easily make a few
ER diagrams.

   Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Rich