[pstricks] pst-optic -- translation

Jean-Côme Charpentier Jean-Come.Charpentier at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 27 01:39:05 CEST 2006

Herbert Voss a écrit :
> Hi all,
> is someone able to translate the pages 21--25
> in http://perce.de/LaTeX/pst-optic/pst-optic-doc.pdf

Well. I'm able to translate, but I able to tranlate in a bad way!  It's
more easy to me to translate english to french than french to english.

> I integrated the prism macros, created by Manuel Luque,
> but the documentation is still in french. My french is
> only good for vacation in France but not for documentations.
>
> The TeX source file is also there.
> [empty]

Where? :-)

I have planned to send you my translation in private, but I prefer send
it in public. In this way, everybody can improve my english! I'm a bit
lazy, so I have remove all the figures. When I'm not sure, there is a "(?)".

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[a4paper]{geometry}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{url}
\usepackage{listings}
\usepackage{luximono} % bold face with tt fonts
\usepackage[english]{babel}

\lstset{language=[LaTeX]TeX, numbers=left, basicstyle=\ttfamily}

%%% Macro you want for text in black box
\def\blackframe+#1+{#1}

\begin{document}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% Don't forget to suppress! %%
\setcounter{page}{20}
\setcounter{section}{12}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\part{Prism}
This command allows to simulate the deviation of a mono-chromatic
light ray with a prism. There are only few parameters. The indicated
values are the default ones.
\begin{itemize}
\item The angle to the top of prism : \blackframe+AnglePrism=60+.
\item The angle between the plane (1), where the tranmitter takes
   place, and the vertical : \blackframe+AnglePlan+. Negative
   values are allowed.
\item The angle between the plane (2) (the screen), and the vertical :
   \blackframe+AnglePlan2=55+. Negative values are allowed.
\item Position of transmitter relative to choosen origin $C_1$ on the
   plane : $\overrightarrow{C_1E_1} = k\overrightarrow{u_1}$,
   \blackframe+k=1+.
\item The wavelength \blackframe+lambda=632.8+, in nm.
\item The plane where transmitting source takes place, with all
   indications, origin, angle, etc., as well as the screen are
   displayed by default. This can be useful in order to finalize a
   figure, but it is possible to deactivate this feature with the
   option \blackframe+[notations=false]+
\end{itemize}
Thanks to the \blackframe+AnglePlan1+, the incident (?) ray direction
can be changed. The incidence (?) spot changes according to
\blackframe+k+.

The outline of processing we have adopted is the Gernot Hoffmann
one. He details it in its document :
\url{http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/prism16072005.pdf}
%%% I suppose that prisme_xcolor_prsentation.tex is a french text. So
%%% it doesn't make sense to give this reference. Isn't it?
%
%et que je détaille dans le document : prisme_xcolor_présentation.tex.
%
% translation:
%
% I give some details about it in my document
% \url{prisme_xcolor_prsentation.tex.}
%
\section{Figure with Default Values and Construction Indications}

\begin{lstlisting}
\psframebox{%
   \begin{pspicture*}(-8,-2)(8,8)
     \psprism
   \end{pspicture*}}
\end{lstlisting}

\section{Figure with Default Values, without Construction Indications}

\begin{lstlisting}
\psframebox{%
   \begin{pspicture*}(-8,-2)(8,8)
     \psprism[notations=false]
   \end{pspicture*}}
\end{lstlisting}

\section{Color matches Wavelength}
\begin{lstlisting}
\begin{pspicture*}(-7,-2)(7,8)
   \psprismColor[lambda=530]%
\end{pspicture*}
\end{lstlisting}

\section{What is not Planned!}
We have not planned physical impossibilities. When $r_2$ is greater
than the limit angle, there is no transmission in air, and it's
impossible to calculate $i_2$. Then, we have a PostScript message:
\begin{lstlisting}
Displaying page 1
Displaying page 2
Displaying page 3
Displaying page 4
Error: /rangecheck in --sqrt--
Operand stack:
     alpha2   -1.02701     -0.0547467
\end{lstlisting}
We remind you that \blackframe+alpha2+ is $i_2$.

For instance, \blackframe+AnglePrism=65+, other default parameters
remains unchanged.
\begin{lstlisting}
\psframebox{%
   \begin{pspicture*}(-7,-2)(7,8)
   \psprism[AnglePrism=65]
\end{pspicture*}}
\end{lstlisting}

It will become right when we change the incident ray slope:
\begin{lstlisting}
\psframebox{%
   \begin{pspicture*}(-7,-2)(7,8)
     \psprism[AnglePrism=65,AnglePlan1=51,k=-1.5]
   \end{pspicture*}}
\end{lstlisting}

We choose \blackframe+k=-1.5+ in order to have a incident ray
which strikes (?) the input side roudly in its center. But, in these
particular cases, the physicist know-how is important (\emph{bis
   repetita}). Isn't it?