[pstricks] Redefined math symbol \Pi

Thorsten Donig thorsten.donig at web.de
Sun Jun 25 16:01:56 CEST 2006

Hello to all!

Since the last MiKTeX update on June 24th 2006 i have a problem with the
math symbol for the greek capital Pi. It seems that the pstricks-add
package from June 18th 2006 redefines the command \Pi in a way, that
there is given out an error message by the mathpazo package of an
already defined command. I excluded systematically all other error
sources. The error occures when including the pstricks-add package
before the mathpazo package. But i would like to use mathpazo and
pstricks-add together in the future. When i include pstricks-add after
mathpazo there is no longer the greek capital but the numerical value
pi=3.14… and no error message ist given out by the latex compiler. If
mathpazo is not included, the result is the same. In the psttricks-add
documentation i found that the value provided by the \Pi command is used
for axis units when plotting trigonometrical functions. I suggest that
the command is renamed to \PI or \pstPi (similar to \pstPI2 in pst-math
package) to avoid collision with other packages and defintions by
standard class files. Or is there another alternative?

With the best wishes and many greetings from Braunschweig, Germany
Thorsten Donig