[pstricks] Slender structures. Dimension too large.

Herbert Voss LaTeX at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 22 15:11:58 CET 2005

Christer Gustafsson wrote:

> The particular pipeline that I now deal with has a typical width of 0.05
> m and a length of 5000m. It is a complicated structure built from tubes,
> plastic profiles and electric cables. A preprocessor generates strength
> of materials information (dimensions, entire geometry, ...) automatically.
>
> Graphics is produced by means of PSTricks in normally a wonderful manner
> by a batch system. It produce a large number of graphs, which generally
> are zooms of various sections of the line. The batch environment is
> effective.
>
> However, the latest line has an extreme slenderness and the PSTricks
> system now gives me the error 'Dimension too large'.
>
> I have included a simplification below in order to make my point clear.
> If you remove the two comments, then the error appears.
>
> Could the error have been avoided in some other way than by means of
> hand-editing?

this cannot work with TeX's limitation of floating point arithmetic.
\psset{xunit=160.000cm,yunit=160.000cm}

Autogenerated \psline[xunit=1cm](   0.000,   0.002)(   20.000,   0.002)

means a line with a x-length of 32m

you can try to use inch instead of cm. Or
Autogenerated \psline[xunit=1cm](   0.000,   0.002)(   20.000,   0.002)

LaTeX und Perl in der ZEDAT: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~latex