[pstricks] Controlling Curve Shape

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 10 22:21:46 CEST 2005

   I would like to learn how to control the shape of curves in my plots. Below
is an example of a simple plot, but the curve is too steep and does not have
an asymptotic end (on the right) of 1.0. I've tried changing the points, but
I keep making it look worse and worse.

   What is the proper approach to creating a curve that looks like the left
side of a normal distribution curve? How would I create a set of partially
overlapping normal curves on a pair of axes -- other than by trial and error?

Thanks,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"
#LyX 1.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 221
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{pst-plot}
\usepackage{pst-pdf}
\end_preamble
\language american
\inputencoding auto
\fontscheme palatino
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize letterpaper
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 1
\use_natbib 0
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 2
\paperpagestyle empty

\layout Standard

\begin_inset Float figure
wide false
collapsed false

\layout Standard
\align center

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
psset{linecolor=blue, unit=1.75cm}
\layout Standard

\backslash
begin{pspicture}(0,8)(9,5)
\layout Standard

\backslash
psaxes[dx=2,Dx=2,Ox=2, dy=1, Dy=.25](0,0)(8,4)
\newline

\backslash
pscurve[linecolor=red, linewidth=1.5pt](0.5,0)(2,0.5)(3.2,3.4)(7,4)
\newline

\backslash
rput(4,-0.5){Distance (in feet)}
\newline