[pstricks] PSTricks driver for XFig (fig2dev)

eugene.ressler at frontiernet.net eugene.ressler at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 4 19:42:01 CET 2004

Many thanks to those who volunteered to be testers.

I have posted an alpha release of a version of fig2dev that has a
PSTricks driver.  It's at

http://www.frontiernet.net/~eugene.ressler

The source tree includes a Cygwin build.  Folks with other kinds of
systems will have to "make clean" and rebuild using the standard
instructions in README.  Sorry I have no resources to build in other
environments.

Honoring earlier discussions, I wrote the driver to generate PSTricks
code that is as readable as possible.  It emits no 'psset" commands,
but instead includes all relevant options in each drawing command, so
there are no impicit dependencies.  I've found it easy to "rough out"
the layout of a drawing with XFig and then switch to hand editing.

The driver generates very good results with all the Library/Examples of
Xfig except the ones that have non-EPS bitmaps that cannot be converted
with bmeps (the driver can run bmeps automtically).

So except for build/portability problems that I can't predict, you ought
to get good results.

Thanks,
Gene