[pstricks] Re: Is [usenames]{pstcol} broken in latest pstricks?

Uwe Kern u.kern at web.de
Mon Sep 20 11:33:24 CEST 2004

Herbert Voss <Herbert.Voss at gmx.net> schrieb am 20.09.04 07:54:41:

> Laurie Savage wrote:
> > How do I enable colornames for the 64 named ps colors in the revised
> > pstricks?
> >
> > I have a standard style for my documents which sets all section
> > headings to the color Mahogany, grids to CadetBlue etc. I enabled this
> > with \usepackage[usenames]{pstcol}. I updated pstricks via MikTeX last
> > week and this feature now appears to be "broken".
> >
> > I read Herbert Voss' earlier comments on the revised PStricks and I
> > have tried commenting out the {pstcol} line but the named colors are
> > no longer recognised. I also tried loading
> > \usepackage[usenames]{pstricks} and while LaTeX did not complain about
> > the option being added it still did not recognise these colors.
> >
> > I will have to revisit many of these documents soon and am not looking
> > forward to having to rework them all by hand to maintain my faculty's
> > style.
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage[noxcolor]{pstricks}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \psline[linecolor=JungleGreen,linewidth=2pt](3,0)
>
> \end{document}

Or, alternatively (retaining xcolor's features):

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[dvipsnames]{pstricks}

\begin{document}

\psline[linecolor=JungleGreen,linewidth=2pt](3,0)

\end{document}

Another solution is to add the line
\ExecuteOptions{dvipsnames}
in the color.cfg file.
In this case, the second line may be changed into
\usepackage{pstricks}
Thus, individual TeX input files don't have to be touched.

The "usenames" option is sometimes misunderstood;
it doesn't load any color names in color.sty, but it makes
color names that are defined by \DefineNamedColor available
to the "normal" syntax.
It is obsolete in xcolor.sty.

Uwe