[pstricks] Transformation into bar chart

Matthias Steinbrink M.Steinbrink at gmx.de
Wed Sep 1 08:15:34 CEST 2004

Hi Alan,

thanks for your answer. I would very much appreciate if you could let me
have a look at your code.

>Alternatively, you can use the bardiag package, available from any CTAN
>mirror I think. It is pstricks-based, but also requires the loading of
>several other packages. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you would have to
>load pstricks with the noxcolor option, unless it has been updated since
>I last tried it, so if you rely on xcolor you may not be able to use it.
>(Please, somebody correct me if I am wrong about this.)

I will have look at bardiag. I only thought that there might be a way of
doing it with pstricks so that one doesn't have to think about all the
different setups in different packages (I am a bit lazy 8-;)

>Finally, you could look at some of Herbert's examples at www.pstricks.de
>that he drew with \psframe (IIRC). That approach would require you to
>hard-code the bar heights, rather than read them from a file, but it
>would certainly work.

I had a look ak the examples and I didn't really like the hard-coding. My
graphs might change a bit in the future and I would like to just alter the
input file, rather than go into the graph definition again and again (again
the lazy thing).

>I certainly understand if you do not want to rely on new code that is
>still under development, but if you are interested in trying my package
>let me know. I can work up a minimal example with your data and upload
>it to the web tonight or early tomorrow, then email you with the url.
>Otherwise, I'll stick with my original plan and release the package
>after I've written some documentation.

If you don't mind, I would very much like to see it.

Thanks and regards, Matthias