[pstricks] Running out of memory on Dia figure - and purpose of PStricks

Justin Gombos mindfuq at zianet.com
Fri Apr 2 02:50:40 CEST 2004

I generated some PStricks code using Dia, and as the diagram grew more
complex, latex hit a point where it failed to compile with this error:

  LaTeX Warning: Label `alert6_s4' multiply defined.

  )
  Overfull \hbox (62.03575pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 35--35
  [][]
  [1] (project.toc) (project.lof
  Overfull \vbox (8.33331pt too high) has occurred while \output is active
  [1]) (project/rawdata/reston.tex

  Runaway definition?
  ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=350001].
  <inserted text> ...addto at pscode {##1}}\def \coor (
                                                    ##1){\pst@@getcoor {##1}\a...
  l.5316 }
          \endpspicture
  Output written on project.dvi (2 pages, 7116 bytes).

So it seems TeX isn't able to do memory paging, and has a pretty
limited amount of memory for processing pstricks code.

The workaround is to export a PS file from Dia, instead of a pstricks
macro file.  So the question is, what do I lose by doing this?
Consistent fonts between the text in my figures and the document text?