[pstricks] ps4pdf question

Jan Eden lists at janeden.org
Sat Mar 20 20:19:09 CET 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Herbert Voss
Sent: 20.03.2004, 7:34 Uhr

>Jan Eden wrote:
>>
>>I read the ps4pdf manual, and I seem to have missed the advantage
>>over the traditional method of using latex, dvips and ps2pdf for the
>>whole document.
>>
>>ps4pdf seems to do the same thing, while making the process more
>>complex: extracting all pstricks code during a run of latex,
>>processing it with dvips and ps2pdf and then re-insert the resulting
>>pdf images in the original document in a subsequent pdflatex run.
>>
>>All processes involved in the traditional method are used, and
>>pdflatex is called as an additional process.
>>
>>I expect this to be slower.
>>
>>Or am I wrong?
>
>you missed the important fact: ps4pdf uses preview-latex in the
>background. This is the reason why dvips produces in any case the
>right image. Compare to pdftricks, where you can have a lot of
>problems when your pstricks image has no text elements to build the
>bounding box.

I tried pdftricks a while ago, and the interface seemed to be quite complicated.

So I did not compare ps4pdf to pdftricks, but to the traditional latex + dvips + ps2pdf. I never had any problem with this process and wondered if ps4pdf offers any advantage (speed, compatibility, smaller output files?).

Thanks,

Jan
--
There's no place like ~/