[pstricks] newbie installtion idiot

Doug Mounce mounce at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 20 15:40:53 CET 2004

Hi, I a newbie with PSTricks, and barely have a handle on the how my
installation of OzTeX works on a Mac OSX.  Is there any general advice on
how I might understand where to put the distribution files into the proper
TEXINPUTS folders?

test-pst.tex wouldn't run, for example, so I methodically copied files to
a TeX/Inputs folder until I stopped getting compile errors.  Some of the
error-files I couldn't find, so I deleted those from the \usepackage
preamble.  By the time it finally compiled, I couldn't even draw a
\ellipse.

The PSTricks 97 documentation README files says, "It require the `calc',
`graphicx' and `ifthen' package from the LaTeX
distribution, `subfigure' from
CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/supported/subfigure,
`multido' and all PSTricks packages, `pst-poly' from
pstricks/contrib/pst-poly
and `random' from CTAN/macros/generic."

The main README files says, "a - You have to move all the files from the
"generic" subdirectory
to a directory part of your TEXINPUTS environment variable, or to add it
in your TEXINPUTS list of paths. (also do the same thing for the "latex"
subdirectory and the "dvips" subdirectory...)"

Any advice would seem like genius to this idiot, and would be greatly
appreciated, regards, Doug.