[pstricks] problem with dvips to use pdftricks

kris Kris.Dumont at UGent.be
Fri Mar 12 15:06:28 CET 2004

Dear Henry,

I use pdftricks to with windows2000 and winshell. I also wrote my own script
file for windows (pst2pdf.bat) and it works perfect.

I think the size of the bounding box is defined by
  \begin{pspicture}(5,2)
Thus, the (5,2) defines the size of the bounding box. Did you try to
experiment with that?

Kind regards,
Kris

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry Proudhon" <henry.proudhon at insa-lyon.fr>
To: <pstricks at tug.org>
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 2:13 PM
Subject: [pstricks] problem with dvips to use pdftricks

Hello,
I'm a phd student and I work with pstricks extensively.
I'm currently working on an big manual (say manual.tex for example) with
pdftricks and I'm in trouble to generate automatically all manual-figxx.pdf
files.

My environnement is Winshell on Win2000 and ghostview 4.6 with ghostscript
8.13
I will try to explain my problem simply :

First I can't use the pst2pdf macro (I beleive it is because of my OS)

Package pdftricks Warning****************************************
(pdftricks)    No \write 18 capability.
(pdftricks)    You'll have to run a script by yourself!
(pdftricks)    ****************************************

but I think the problem is not there because I've mine own script which do
exactly the same and in particular :

dvips -E -o manual-figxx.eps manual-figxx.dvi

I obtain all the files by running my script but each pdf file has a wrong
bounding box.
If I just run manualy (in a command window) dvips -E -o manual-figxx.eps
manual-figxx.dvi, then the eps file has also a wrong bounding box.
in the dvips help the -E option is decribed as not sure for graphical
features...

I realize then that my only way to obtain a good eps file is the following :
   1 - run dvips from my .dvi file to obtain .ps file
   2 - run ghostview to convert ps in .eps file : File -> PS to EPS with the
option automatically calculate bounding box. Then eps file is ok and I can
run
epstopdf

As I run ghostview I was not able to catch the exact command line requiered
do this in a script.
I beleive ghostview call ps2epsi but I did not find an option to calculate
bounding box...
I hope you see my despear...

I summarize my problem as the following 2 ponts :
   1 - The -E option indvips doesnot work for me
   2 - How run ps2epsi or another program to convert the pstricks figure
file
with the right bounding box

Thnak you very much for your help...
Henry