[pstricks] what are the limits of pst-plot?

Patrick Drechsler patrick.drechsler at gmx.net
Tue Feb 10 16:30:50 CET 2004

Herbert Voss wrote on 10 Feb 2004 15:50:38 MET:

> Patrick Drechsler wrote:
>> Herbert Voss wrote on 10 Feb 2004 07:05:57 MET:

>>>no, I plot files with about 5 MegaBytes of data.
>>>send an example file with the data base (as private mail).
>
> try this one, it reads only every n^th line from the
> file, which makes things faster. This is different to
> nStep, which reads _all_ data but plots only every
> n^th record.
> If it works well, I can put the preamble stuff into
> pstricks-add.

[...code...]

Works like a charm!

Thank you Herbert!

\readdata[stepLine=100]{\dataA}{stressrawdata.txt}
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
I tried reducing the size of stepLine... works fine down to
stepLine=10 - and is still only taking a few seconds.

Inserting stepLine=1 lets TeX crash though:

,----
| ERROR: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [save size=5000].
|
| --- TeX said ---
| \readdata@ ->\advance \datacnt by 1
|                                     \read 1 to \pst at tempa \ifnum \datacnt =\...
| l.58 ...ata[stepLine=1]{\dataA}{stressrawdata.txt}
`----

Cheers

Patrick
--
"If anyone tells me to work smarter, not harder, I will kick him or her,
hard, in a random body part.  I will then kick him or her a second time,