[pstricks] pstricks and xfig

Franco Bagnoli franco.bagnoli at unifi.it
Thu May 15 10:37:29 CEST 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Denis Girou wrote:

>   There are other tools, in the class of Xfig (like Dia, jPicEdt, LaTeXdraw,
> etc. -you could found their Web home pages in the Links page on the PSTricks
> home page), which have a PSTricks output driver, but I do not believe that
> adding such feature to Xfig is a huge task. All the major problem (from my
> personal point of vue), is that these two approaches are mainly orthogonal:
> all the power of PSTricks come from the fact that this is not an interactive
> tool but a programming language (in fact the conjunction of two ones, TeX and
> PostScript), which allows to think in terms of algorithms and computational
> geometry. If you build a complex tree with an interactive tool, you will not
> be able to do interesting things with a PSTricks output based on a long list
> of \ps...box and \psline but only if you can handle the \pstree structure
> describing the logical hierarchy of roots and leaves nodes.

what about kig (belongs to kde Edutainment project, http://edu.kde.org/)?
It uses a geometrical approach resembling pst-eucl, which in my opinion is
extremely useful.

kig exports to xml, and the structure is similar to that of pst-eucl.

--
Franco Bagnoli (franchino) <franco.bagnoli at unifi.it> (bagnoli at dma.unifi.it)
virtual location: Dipartimento di Energetica "S. Stecco"