[pstricks] pstricks.doc

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Tue Apr 29 00:34:27 CEST 2003

>>>>> "Alan.Ristow" == Alan Ristow <Alan.Ristow at ece.gatech.edu> writes:

    Alan.Ristow> pstricks.doc has been a very useful document to me as I try to learn some
    Alan.Ristow> of the finer points of pstricks.

  But do not forget that this file is part of the "obsolete" sub-directory...
Everything in it is out of date, both the source code, which is the one of
PSTricks 0.93 and not PSTricks 97, and, in few aspects, the formatting macros.
This is clearly stated in CTAN:graphics/pstricks/obsolete/src/README

    Alan.Ristow> It would be so nice to have a typeset version

  You can have read that there is an ungoing project to
repackage/update/complete the current documentation, which is obsolete too.
This is already a huge work. But there is no current project to generate a
commented version of the source code of PSTricks 97, which would be another
huge task.

    Alan.Ristow> unfortunately, the document, as distributed, does not seem to run
    Alan.Ristow> well.

  This is of course possible to compile it, with some hacks (I remember that
I did some years ago), but in any case, it must not be trusted as this is not
at all the code of PSTricks 97, so a major source of pitfalls for non expert
users...

    Alan.Ristow> Is there a simple, reliable way to process pstricks.doc into a typeset dvi?

  Not a good one (other than to become an expert, understand the old code and
the new one, put the relevant old comments in the new source code and add new
comments in the uncommented new parts...)

D.G.