[pstricks] How to install pstricks in my home directory?

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Fri Oct 4 22:19:40 CEST 2002

>>>>> "Deling.Ren" == Deling Ren <deling_ren at hotmail.com> writes:

    Deling.Ren> I used to use pstricks package on a Redhat 7.3 machine, where everything was
    Deling.Ren> taken care of. I now need to use this package on a Solaris machine where I
    Deling.Ren> have not root prevelige. What I did was as follows:

    Deling.Ren> 1. I created a .texmf dir under my home dir, copied all .tex files to
    Deling.Ren>  .texmf/tex/generic/pstricks, all .sty files to ./texmf/tex/latex/pstricks

  As you use a Web2c based TeX installation, all configuration changes must be
done in the configuration file texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

  Look at it and it comments. You have not to change the definition of
TEXINPUTS and TEXPSHEADERS but probably only TEXMFMAIN:

TEXMFMAIN = /usr/share/texmf

    Deling.Ren> Still, even if latex and dvips works, xdvi does not work yet. It complained:

    Deling.Ren> xdvi.bin:  special "header=pstricks.pro" not implemented
    Deling.Ren> xdvi.bin:  special "header=pst-dots.pro" not implemented
    Deling.Ren>  ...
    Deling.Ren> xdvi.bin:  special "header=pst-node.pro" not implemented
    Deling.Ren> xdvi.bin:  special "color push  Black" not implemented
    Deling.Ren> xdvi.bin:  special "color pop" not implemented
    Deling.Ren> gs: Error: /undefined in tx at Dict
    Deling.Ren> gs: Operand stack:
    Deling.Ren> gs:
    Deling.Ren> gs: Execution stack:
    Deling.Ren>  ...

  PSTricks require a PostScript interpreter. Some versions of xdvi can handle
a part of PSTricks functions, but to have everything you must generate a
PostScript or PDF file and use a PostScript or PDF viewver.

D.G.