problem with trees

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Thu Oct 28 21:19:58 CEST 1999

    Michael.Daniels> The documentation says that everything in pstricks should work under plain
    Michael.Daniels> TeX. So the following should be okay:

    Michael.Daniels> \input pstricks
    Michael.Daniels> \input pst-tree
    Michael.Daniels> \psset{levelsep=*0.75cm, treesep=0.75cm}
    Michael.Daniels> \pstree{\TR{S}}{
    Michael.Daniels>    \pstree{\TR{NP}}{
    Michael.Daniels>      \pstree{\TR{DP}}{
    Michael.Daniels>        \TR{this}}
    Michael.Daniels>      \pstree{\TR{N}}{
    Michael.Daniels>        \TR{cat}}}
    Michael.Daniels>    \pstree{\TR{VP}}{
    Michael.Daniels>      \pstree{\TR{V}}{
    Michael.Daniels>        \TR{meows}}}}
    Michael.Daniels> \bye

    Michael.Daniels> But instead, I get the following error:
    Michael.Daniels> ...
    Michael.Daniels> ! Undefined control sequence.
    Michael.Daniels> \pstree at vertlevelsepadjust ...te \@auxout
    Michael.Daniels> ...

    Michael.Daniels> as if it can't find a definition for \@auxout. I looked, and none of the
    Michael.Daniels> distribution's files seem to define this sequence, although it does appear
    Michael.Daniels> in latex.ltx (the latex kernel).

    Michael.Daniels> So how do I use the levelsep=* feature in plain TeX?

  You are right, this clearly seems a bug. But as you know, there are many
more LaTeX users than plain ones, so it was not diagnosed at this time.
Nevertheless, of course that PSTricks core code must work in plain.

  A simple workaround is to use something like:

\input pst-tree

\edef\PstAtCode{\the\catcode`\@}
\catcode`\@=11\relax
\ifx\@undefined\@auxout\newwrite\@auxout\fi
\catcode`\@=\PstAtCode\relax

\psset{levelsep=*0.75,treesep=0.75}
\pstree{\TR{S}}{%
   \pstree{\TR{NP}}{%
     \pstree{\TR{DP}}{%
       \TR{this}}
     \pstree{\TR{N}}{%
       \TR{cat}}}
   \pstree{\TR{VP}}{%
     \pstree{\TR{V}}{%
       \TR{meows}}}}
\bye

  I'll make an official patch later (but I have some other things to download
too - this was not a favourable time for such kind of work, but it must be
better soon).

Denis Girou
with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>