xdvi.bin: special "header=pstricks.pro" not implemented

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Thu Feb 18 21:54:29 CET 1999

>>>>> "Iosif.Pinelis" == Iosif Pinelis <ipinelis at mtu.edu> writes:

    Iosif.Pinelis> My sun machine is a part of a server network. The version of
    Iosif.Pinelis> xdvi we have responds

    Iosif.Pinelis> xdvi.bin:  special "header=pstricks.pro" not implemented

    Iosif.Pinelis> and shows no pstricks but dvips works ok. Our computer admistrators
    Iosif.Pinelis> don't know how to fix this. Can you please help with any suggestions?

  Yes, this is a well-known behaviour. As the name "PS"Tricks show, this
software is heavily related to PostScript and no effect can be visible if the
viewver or the printer you use doesn't implement the PostScript language.

  As "xdvi" is a viewver for the DVI format, all "current" versions doesn't
support PostScript at all, as the one you use. So, ever systematically convert
your dvi files to PostScript using a dvi to ps converter, as you do ("dvips"
is the most often used on Unix systems) and use after a PostScript viewer as
ghostview, kghostview, gv, etc.  Or ever install recent versions of xdvi,
which are able to manage PostScript commands (on Unix systems, they require
the "ghostscript" software to be installed). Version 22 was released few days
ago: CTAN/dviware/xdvi/xdvi-22.01.tar.gz
CTAN/dviware/xdvik/xdvik-22.01.tar.gz

D.G.

with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>