PSTricks and Textures

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Wed Jan 21 19:49:35 CET 1998

    Michal.Marvan> Thanks a lot for clarification and critisizm from
    Michal.Marvan> everybody.  Also, I am very sorry for the misleading
    Michal.Marvan> "instructions" I sent yesterday.

  Thanks for your good news, and doesn't worry about your preceding message
which produce no damage.

    Michal.Marvan> However, I still think that people would appreciate if
    Michal.Marvan> README contains a section named INSTALLATION with just a
    Michal.Marvan> few words about which folders are to be copied where and
    Michal.Marvan> which folders may contain invalid information. If there are
    Michal.Marvan> *no* installation instructions, people may tend to look for
    Michal.Marvan> them elsewhere, with unwanted consequences.

  You're certainly right. What I can propose, when the situation will be
definitely clarified with Textures, is to submit to the four people involved
with these problems an update of the README to clarify these points, to allow
them to check it, and after to replace the existing file.

  I'll also add the lines I sent yesterday to clarify the situation of the
directories about their level of support.

    Michal.Marvan> And in fact, pstricks.pro (and similarly other files in
    Michal.Marvan> pstricks/dvips) says:

    >>  % Created 1994/6/23. Source file was pstricks.doc

    Michal.Marvan> One also reads at the beginning of
    Michal.Marvan> pstricks/generic/textures17.con:

    >> %% This uses the header files. You must first run pst-make.tex
    >> %% to generate new .tex and .pro files.

    Michal.Marvan> For me this was a *clear* instruction, which did not
    Michal.Marvan> contradict anything what I have read in README.

  Yes, it's clearly a source of confusion. Just understand that, as explained
at the end of the README, our modifications were based only on the "final"
files and not of those which serve of drivers to generate all these ones.
But it would have been clearly better if we had clean up them more
efficiently... At least I'll try to check in generic and dvips such
unappropriate and confusing informations in the actual situation.

  Thanks for your help.

D.G.

with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>