[protext] difficulty installing ProTeXt

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at FernUni-Hagen.de
Mon Oct 9 16:15:25 CEST 2006

Dear Joe,

jsv at stat.ohio-state.edu wrote:

>   I am a new TeX user on Windows XP.  I downloaded ProTeXt from CTAN, but
> when I tried to install it I got the following error:
>
> The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
> Cannot open C:\Documents and Settings\verducci\Desktop\protext.exe
>
>   Please advise how I should procede.

hmm, sounds as if something went wrong with the download. While you
didn't wrote more preciously, how you did the download, check the following:

- Make sure, that you've downloaded protext.exe completely - the file
should be about 415 MB.

- if you worked with a native FTP-Filetransfer, note that you have to
enable binary downloading.

- if everything fails, try the following link
ftp://ftp.fernuni-hagen.de/pub/windows/win32/ProTeXt/protext-1.3.exe

Good luck - Thomas