[pracjourn-forum] For our error collection

Peter Flom flom at ndri.org
Fri Sep 9 13:54:43 CEST 2005

Peter Flynn wrote
<<<
Excellent example.

\: is a math-mode command for a spaced colon, so if it occurs in
text mode, LaTeX will indeed think you want math mode.

The error message should say something like

"You have used the math command \: in normal text, so I'm changing
 into math mode"

But there is zero chance of the error messages ever changing...

That would be a much better error message.

Steve Peter wrote

<<<
This is actually a LaTeX problem. A more optimal message might say:

"\: is used for extra horizontal space, but only in math mode."

If you try the same thing in Plain TeX, you get the error that \: isn't
a defined control sequence, which may be more helpful.

>From conversations at the PracTeX conference, I got the feeling that
the TeX error messages are set in stone.  Is this true of LaTeX error
messages as well?

I think this may be one of the big barriers to wider use; perhaps
bigger than some long-time users realize.  People in math and computer
science are used to a certain mode of thought  CS people are used to
writing code and debugging it; math people are used to (I think) a
psychologically similar process of trying one thing after another.

If people with this mode of thinking see a cryptic error, they may get
annoyed, but also they are used to viewing this sort of problem as a
normal process, and even view it as a challenge.  Social science people,
and people in fields like education, do NOT have this mindset, and are
likely to view such error messages as reasons to stop using LaTeX

Would the same "error messages set in stone" apply to commercial
versions?
Or what about the messages that you get when you type H for additional
help?

Peter Flom

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)