[pracjourn-forum] For our error collection

Steve Peter speter at dandy.net
Thu Sep 8 21:35:56 CEST 2005

On Sep 8, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Peter Flom wrote:

> If you type, e.g.
> \LaTeX\:
>
> (neglecting to put a space after the second \)

Unless you're writing French, you don't want a space anyway.
(Although $\:$ will in fact give you some space.)

> the error message is that a $ has been inserted because it thinks
> you want one!

You do. :-)

> Cryptic, eh?

This is actually a LaTeX problem. A more optimal message might say:

"\: is used for extra horizontal space, but only in math mode."

If you try the same thing in Plain TeX, you get the error that \:
isn't a defined control sequence, which may be more helpful.

Steve