[pracjourn-forum] For our collection of errors

Peter Flynn pflynn at ucc.ie
Thu Jun 30 12:19:42 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 20:24, Peter Flom wrote:
> Here's one (this one I solved myself)
>
> If your output is has section headings that are single letters, you
> left the braces off after \section

Right. \section takes one argument: if there isn't anything in braces,
the next token (letter, command, whatever) is assumed to be the
argument.

> But I don't think this would be obvious to a newby.

Good point. It's in the TeXbook but not the LaTeXbook (I think).

> I don't recall
> seeing anywhere that these commands take the first letter automatically
> - I just figured it out because I know that the ^ and _  in math do
> this.

And everything else. For example, \multicolumn in a tabular setting lets
you break across the column specification to make some data span
columns. The definition is \multicolumn{no.of.columns}{format}{data}, so
to span the next 5 columns with some centered text, you're supposed to
type \multicolumn{5}{c}{this is my text}, but in fact you can also type
\multicolumn5c{this is my text}.

We need to add this, definitely.

///Peter