[pracjourn-forum] Re: Another newby question: Finding documentation

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 11 16:22:04 CEST 2005

    "Will there be a search button
    on CTAN that looks in the doc subdirectories of individual packages?"

I believe that problem is solved better by my first suggestion: have a
search button for doc (pdf|html|dvi) files.  That way doc will be found
even if the package upload is not TDS.  Sure, it could also return
contents of package/doc directories if they exist, but that seems
secondary to me.

Regarding TDS uploads to CTAN in general -- most packages are so small
it seems like total overkill to me for them to have the TDS structure.
Personally, I cannot see the point in essentially duplicating the
tree in reverse:
  macros/latex/contrib/shadethm/
                               tex/latex/shadethm/
                                                  shadethm.sty

instead of what there is now:
  macros/latex/contrib/shadethm/
                               shadethm.sty

For large packages, with files in many subtrees, then it makes some kind
of sense.  For small latex add-ons, I don't see it.

Whatever ...