[pracjourn-forum] A weird error

Jim Hefferon ftpmaint at alan.smcvt.edu
Thu May 5 20:16:55 CEST 2005

   at this point, I say to myself "Huh?"    where is \c at lor@to at ps  ?

   I looked for this error in the LaTeX companion, and it certainly has a
   bit on undefined control sequence errors (on p. 912)  but I am mystified
   how this paragraph helps me.....that command isn't in the .tex file!

But it must be in something.  That means that it must be in one of the
files that you input, or that a file you input itself inputted, etc.

   While the above is on a .tex file that someone else sent me, this sort
   of thing happens to me a lot, with undeifined control sequences for
   things I never typed....

I ran your sample document and it ran fine for me.  I have a quite old
TeX, though, so the bug could easily be in something newer than I have.
Open up your log file and see if you can make out more (the <docname>.log
file contains much more than is written to the screen).

The "@" is a LaTeX convention.  When writing commands that are not intended
for end-users (you and me), the LaTeX authors put that character in the
name.  For instance, a LaTeX author might write a command to make a moderate
sized vertical space as \moder at teverticalsp@ce .  Then you can define
commands like \newcommand{\moderateverticalspace}{..} without fear of
overwriting on an internal-to-LaTeX command.  Ugly, but it works.

I personally suspect that your tex/generic/pstricks has got a problem.
But, I could be wrong.

Jim