[pracjourn-forum] Re: Pitfalls (was some initial thoughts)

Tze KWANG Teo tzeteo at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 26 16:02:51 CEST 2005

I took a quick look at Tobias Oetiker's "lshort" (giving
credit where it is due), and he also lists the following
reserved characters:

(1) ^, which is obtained by typing \^{}
(2) _, which is obtained by typing \_ (mentioned in a
(3) ~, which is obtained by typing \~{}

but in the case of item 3, I believe there are differences
between typing \~{} and $\tilde$? I can't remember which is
which offhand. And does simply typing "~" in math mode gives
the user the "is distributed as" symbol, e.g. "X is
distributed standard normal, Poisson, etc."? If so, then I
think more clarification on uses of "~" are needed.

Peter (Flynn), is there a copy of the list of pitfalls you
sent last week, which I may obtain?

Sincerely,
Kwang