[pdftex] Caching intermediate compilation results for

selinger at mathstat.dal.ca selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Jan 15 15:45:14 CET 2022

Hi Jamie,

I think that what you are suggesting can almost be done at the
operating system level, without changing any aspect of LaTeX, except
to replace a few system calls.

What you need is the ability to

(1) make a snapshot of a running process (with all of its state,
including things like open files, content and current positions of
those files), and to resume the snapshot later (i.e., start a new
process in exactly the same state as the snapshot).

(2) keep track of when the process is reading from a file,

(3) keep track of when the process is writing to a file.

Basically every time the process writes to the relevant output file
(e.g. its main DVI or PDF output), make a note of everything that it
has read so far. Changes to any input files that are outside the area
that has currently been read cannot possibly affect the output to this
point.  Whenever a relevant input file changes, restart from the most
recent snapshot that could be affected by that change.

There are of course some features (such as reading the time of day)
that make TeX or any other program non-deterministic. These would
either have to be ignored or turned off.

If the snapshots can be made in a lightweight way (e.g., only storing
a "diff" from a previous snapshot), this would be relatively feasible.
Generally, input and output is buffered (i.e., written in much larger
chunks than necessary), so instead of merely replacing system calls
such are write(), it might be necessary to adjust some library
functions such as fwrite().

As others have noted, LaTeX also writes a bunch of auxiliary files
(.aux file, table of contents, etc), which affect the next pass over
the document, but one could choose to ignore these unless a full
recompile is requested.

The advantage is that this solution would work for practically any
program that reads input to produce incremental output; it is not
LaTeX specific.

-- Peter