[pdftex] \tracinglostchars

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Mon Feb 15 14:37:23 CET 2021

Hi,
Not sure if right list.
Besides, I am sure this must have been discussed.

Anyway, \tracinglostchars1 is default in LaTeX (ltplain.dtx),
but not extremely useful because the information goes only
to log file and user is not warned.

With \tracinglostchars2, also console output gets the info.
But console output is often big. There is no warning at end.

If I execute etex on

\begingroup
\bye

(e)TeX gives very visible warning

(\end occurred inside a group at level 1)

### semi simple group (level 1) (\begingroup)
### bottom level

at end of run.

But a missing glyph in a PDF file is often at least
as much relevant as the above problem from the end
user point of view

Could \tracinglostchars1 by default also print at end of run
to stdout
something such as

There were missing characters. Check the log file.

And of course also \tracinglostchars2

Or let \tracinglostchars3 do that.

I would then suggest macro formats adopt this
by default.

Best,

Jean-François