[pdftex] PdfTeX - letter é catcode def

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Wed Dec 1 15:33:12 CET 2021

Hi,

Le mercredi 1 décembre 2021 à 11:29:42, 👨🏻 🦰 Vincent Breton écrivit :

👨> I would like to know why my TeX (not LaTeX) code don't work with PdfTeX.
👨> It seams to work fine with XeTeX and LuaTeX.

just a guess: ^^e9 is latin1/T1 encoding for é, but if you use UTF8 then TeX sees some bizarre suite of 8 bits chars meaning é only for UTF-=8 parsers, and nothing for TeX that reads raw 8bit sources.

In contrast, Luatex reads UTF_8 by default, so a source that works with luatex should typically not work with tex if you have anything else that ascii text therein.

Regarding XeTeX I don't know (I am an atheist).

Best,
Th. B.