[pdftex] 2 bugs in pdfx?

selinger at mathstat.dal.ca selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Aug 22 05:17:19 CEST 2021

Hi Ross (and others),

there seems to be a strange bug in pdfx, version 1.6.3. Consider this
example input:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pdfx}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}
$\vec k'$
\end{document}

When compiled, the output looks like the left part of the attached
image. However, when commenting out the line "\usepackage{pdfx}", it
looks like the right part of the attached image (which is more
correct).

The above example is minimal, i.e., the effect does not occur if the
amsmath package is not loaded (in which case the output always looks
like the right image).

Also, I noticed that if I compile the above file (or any file using
pdfx) with "latex" rather than "pdflatex", I get the following error
message:

! pdfTeX error (\pdfmapline): not allowed in DVI mode (\pdfoutput <= 0).
l.532    \pdfmapline
                    {+dummy-space <dummy-space.pfb}
No pages of output.

This didn't use to happen, as far as I know. I am using
pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.20 (TeX Live 2019/Debian)

The reference to l.532 refers to the file
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/pdfx/pdfx.sty,
which has

   \pdfmapline{+dummy-space <dummy-space.pfb}

on that line.

Thanks, -- Peter