[pdftex] UTF-8 support by default

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun Feb 2 23:40:21 CET 2020

On 02/02/2020 14:59, notebook wrote:
> Hello,
>
> are there any plans of making pdftex work with utf-8 characters by default?
>
> I know, that there is XeLaTeX, which claims to support utf-8 by default
> (which is only a claim, but not the entire truth).
>
> The reason for asking here is, because I think it would be nice to have
> the default tool offer everything needed for writing a text document.
> The current situation puts the user in need of understanding encodings
> first.
>

> Regards
> Chris

pdfTeX is never going to be native UTF-8, unlike XeTeX or LuaTeX. With
LaTeX, the use of active chars allows UTF-8 as the default encoding, but
that code is not something anyone is going to add to plain pdfTeX.

Joseph

P.S. XeTeX *is* natively UTF-8, so I'm unsure what you mean by 'it's
only a claim'.