[pdftex] pdf inclusion bug

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Fri Mar 29 03:15:09 CET 2019

Hi,

testing TL19, I stumbled upon a bug in pdftex that seems to have existed
for a while.

Compile this file (a.tex) with a current luatex 1.10:

------------------------------
\pdfvariable compresslevel0
\nopagenumbers
\pageheight=5cm
\pagewidth=5cm
ABC
\bye
------------------------------

and then compile this file (b.tex) with pdflatex:

------------------------------
\pdfcompresslevel0
\documentclass{article}
\pagestyle{empty}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{a}
\end{document}
------------------------------

This will result in three warnings:

pdfTeX warning: [...]: glyph `' undefined

pdfTeX warning: [...]: glyph `A ' undefined

pdfTeX warning: [...]: glyph `B ' undefined

and only the "C" will be visible in b.pdf. And if you look into b.pdf,
the included font contains "/CharSet (//A /B /C)", which is obviously
wrong.

Everything is fine if I compile a.tex with an older luatex. The
difference is that previous versions of luatex wrote the charset without
spaces: "/CharSet(/A/B/C)", whereas luatex 1.10 writes: "/CharSet( /A /B
/C)". However, this seems like perfectly valid PDF to me, so I'd say
that luatex is innocent here, but that this is a bug in pdftex's
inclusion procedure.

Best regards,
--
  Robert