[pdftex] pdflatex adds spaces between letters, which makes search impossible

Olivier oc-spam65 at laposte.net
Fri Dec 6 01:13:46 CET 2019

Hello,

[sorry, I couldn't find a website where I could search through the past
discussions to check if that question was already submitted to the list]

My problem is that PDF files produced by `pdflatex` are not searchable with
`mupdf`. Considering such file named "test.pdf", we have the result below,
which explains why searching for the string "lorem" fails:

$ mutool draw -F txt test.pdf | head -1
Lor e m

It is observed that spaces are added arbitrarily between the letters. Only the
non-obvious string "lor e m" could be found successfully in the PDF.

I suppose this is a bug. Is there a solution?

Thank you for your answer,

Olivier

--------
The file "test.pdf" was produced by this code with `pdflatex`:
"""
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\usepackage{lmodern}