[pdftex] Type 1 font problem

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 21 23:50:14 CET 2018

First idea: check that all of the fonts are embedded. (pdffonts will
tell you.) I suspect so, but that's always one thing to check.

Looking at http://users.wfu.edu/cottrell/t1problem/caslon_bad.png, that
is strange output, to me more indicative of a bug in the font rendering
on system B than anything else.  I doubt it is a problem in the PDF,
because the PDF just says "display these characters from this font".

It might help to make a tiny document, just one character from one font
at a large size. Then you can inspect the actual PDFs being created
(including the font embedding) and have some hope of discerning what is
going on, and maybe the strange breakage will appear in some
recognizable way.
(Set \pdfcompresslevel=0 \pdfobjcompresslevel=0 and run with pdftex.)

Another possible test would be to use the fonts in a non-TeX system, if
you can find anything else that still uses Type 1 fonts. (I don't know
of anything.)

Good luck,
Karl