[pdftex] pdftex core dump when including certain pdf files

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jul 21 00:52:28 CEST 2016

On 2016-07-20 at 08:05:14 +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

 >   ps2pdf pdftex-output.pdf out.pdf
 >
 > which indeed reduces the file size and the number of subsetted fonts
 > by 30%, but there is a problem that makes all links disappear...  We
 > have to further investigate.

Yes, the problem is that in a PDF file the contents of pages and links
are stored at different places.  It's not straightforward to keep the
links.  What are you doing in order to retain the links?  I suppose
that LuaTeX's epdf library

 > > In the latter case Ghostscript must be able to find the fonts.
 >
 > Yes, I really hope that!

It actually works.  Some companies in Japan offer PDF datasheets which
have only references to Windows fonts but the fonts are not included.
Thus, when I view them on Unix, I only see the graphics but no text.

A few years ago some guys from Japan asked me to add a cidfmap file to
our Ghostscript distribution for Windows.

 http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/tlgs/lib/cidfmap.TeXLive

Now I can make these files portable

  ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress ....

If this works we can expect that Ghostscript embeds fonts mentioned in
Fontmap[.TeXLive] too.

 > Yes.  We have to modify lilypond to not embed the font resources
 > into the PS file but to collect them in a directory.

Sure, the fonts have to be copied to a directory where Ghostscript can
find them.

But for testing I wouldn't change the LiliPond sources.  IMO it's
easier to write a tiny script which removes fonts from the PostScript
files.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25