[pdftex] Regression: Wrong spacing with explicit space character of different font

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed May 21 23:53:59 CEST 2014

Hi Karl, and Heiko.

On 22/05/2014, at 6:40 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Heiko,
>
>    Thus "0 0 Td" is missing in the current pdfTeX version.
>
> This is terrible news.  I expect it is related to the "fake space"
> feature that was introduced in this version.  I will discuss with Heiko.

Surely you mean Thanh.  :-)

Yes, being associated with "fake space" was my immediate
thought too.
I can confirm that the same problem exists with the experimental
version that I have been using for tagged-PDF, for which the
fake spaces were first developed.

viz.

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11+tagged-pdf (TeX Live 2010)

3 0 obj
<<
/Length 106

stream
BT
/F8 9.9626 Tf
72 762.971 Td [(a@)]TJ/F15 9.9626 Tf
12.73 0 Td [(\040)]TJ/F8 9.9626 Tf
 [(srv.com)]TJ
ET
endstream

/F8 --> subsetted CMR10
/F15 --> subsetted NimbusSanL-Regu

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2014/dev) (preloaded format=pdftex)

3 0 obj
<<
/Length 113

stream
BT
/F1 9.9626 Tf 72 762.971 Td [(a@)]TJ/F51 9.9626 Tf 12.73 0 Td [(\040)]TJ/F1 9.9626 Tf 0 0 Td [(srv.com)]TJ
ET

/F1 --> subsetted CMR10
/F51 --> subsetted NimbusSanL-Regu

>    The problem is quite serious
>
> Indeed.

Heiko,
can I ask why you use such a construction, which seems
to be deliberately hiding the space?
Is it to fool a system that automatically extracts email
addresses from a PDF, by detecting the '@' character?

>    http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/
>    is quite out of date.
>
> Yes it is.  Neither Thanh nor I have had the time/energy to update it,
> and no one else has done anything with pdftex for quite a while now.
>
>    Also the bug report address at sarovar does not seem to work anymore.
>
> Yes, sarovar has been dead for some time (and unfortunately all the
> tracker info was lost, though perhaps it will eventually be restored
> somewhere).  I think ntg-pdftex at ntg.nl is theoretically the best place,
> although writing Thanh and me directly is a good idea.  Unfortunately
> there are no active trackers right now.
>
> thanks,
> karl

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-206