[pdftex] [Tex] very subtle endobj bug in latest pdftex

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sat Jul 26 20:51:59 CEST 2014

Hi Reinhard, and others.

Sorry to have not replied sooner.
Too busy with teaching/exams/marking etc.
then an overseas trip + conferences.

TUG 2014 is next week, so perhaps this a good time
to address some of those issues with PDF/A, etc.

On 28/06/2014, at 3:26 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> On 2014-06-24 at 09:10:47 +1000, Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> But Reinhard makes an interesting point.
>> Maybe if I use Acrobat Pro to Save As...  PDF/A then the
>> line-ends will be changed from \r  to \n  and this
>> problem can be avoided?

> Hi Ross,
> did you consider to try Ghostscript?  Despite of its name, ps2pdf
> can read PDF files.

Thanh seems to have fixed the code in pdftex that this was
related to, so I've no real desire to explore this further.

> #!/bin/sh
>
> OUTPUTFILE=${1%%.pdf}-icc.pdf
>
> GS_OPTS = -dPDFA=1 \
>          -dUseCIEColor \
>          -sProcessColorModel=DeviceCMYK
>
> ps2pdf --gsopts=${GS_OPTS} -o ${OUTPUTFILE} $1
>

> The preferred version of Ghostscript is 9.10 because the color
> management system is quite new and 9.13 breaks hyperref.

Yeah; that's something that really needs to be addressed.
If Nelson Beebe is in Portland, I'll see what is his take on this.

>> Also, it seems to have changed the colors somewhat.
>
> In such cases I convert PDF to PostScript (using Ghostscript) and
> reverse-engineer the PostScript file.  Did you encounter this problem
> with JPEG/PNG files or with vector graphics?  If colors are changed in
> vector graphics, could you send me the files?

These were vector graphics, created using pdfTeX then edited
in Adobe Illustrator CS2  (quite old).

> If the files are created by LaTeX, it's helpful to avoid any text
> (fonts) and to add these lines to the preamble:
>
>  \pdfcompresslevel=0
>  \pagestyle{empty}

Nope; that I cannot do.
The images require text.

I just take a typeset page, opened in Illustrator, and remove
the objects that I definitely don't want (e.g. page numbers,
and surrounding text content).
Other text, whose sizing is important, I shifted into a separate layer.
This layer is marked as hidden, rather than deleted.

Attached below is an example of the original PDF, created as just described,
and a version in which I used Acrobat Pro 11 to change a font.
Some colours changed too, quite unintentionally.