[pdftex] pdflatex, how to increase memory limit?

Paul Rigor paul.rigor at uci.edu
Sat Feb 15 01:15:17 CET 2014

Hi,

I've come across some memory limitations with pdflatex command. I'm pretty
sure my machine has sufficient RAM, ie, 64GB plus additional swap.

Below is the error message I receive when running the command "pdflatex
--shell-escape %{tex_file.tex}"

    TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=1500000]

There doesn't seem to be a command line parameter to increase the memory
limit. Is there an alternate method that doesn't require the user to be
root?

Thanks!
Paul

--