[pdftex] Incorrect "help" text in pdftex

Byron Hawkins byronh at uci.edu
Sat Feb 8 08:55:42 CET 2014

Hi, thanks for the great program, I just found a problem with the "help"
text. When I type "pdftex --help", it states the following:

    -output-directory=DIR   use existing DIR as the directory to write
files in

But in fact pdftex takes the "=" symbol to be part of the directory name.
So if I execute:

    pdftex -output-directory=build/

the program exits with an error that there is no such directory (it just
says "I can't write on the file"). But if I run

    pdftex -output-directory build/

then it works. So the help text is wrong. The equals sign gets removed.
Probably the same for all the other "help" entries that indicate an equals
sign. Thanks.

Byron

--------------- version info -----------------

pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
kpathsea version 6.1.0
Copyright 2012 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Compiled with libpng 1.2.49; using libpng 1.2.49
Compiled with zlib 1.2.7; using zlib 1.2.7
Compiled with poppler version 0.20.5