[pdftex] Version of pdfTeX User Manual

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sat May 4 12:07:19 CEST 2013

Suresh Govindachar <sgovindachar at yahoo.com> a écrit:
> Hello,
>
> A) The Version of the pdfTeX manual at pdftex.org is January 1, 2007
> Rev. 1.671;  and its Section 1.1 starts with "This manual revision
> (1.671) tries to keep track with the recent pdfTEX development up to
> version 1.40.0."  Same is true of the manual in my local MikTeX
> installation.
>
> B) However, I also have a pdfTeX manual with Version November 23, 2010
> Rev. 655;  and its Section 1.1 starts with "This manual revision (655)
> tries to keep track with the recent pdfTeX development up to version
> 1.40.11."
>
> Judging by the date of the Version and the Version mentioned in the
> first sentence of Section 1.1, B is newer than A.

Yes.

> Question:  Why is the Version of B "655" and that of A "1.671"?  How are
> these numbers to be compared?

Those numbers come from svn "$Id:...$" stuff in the manual's source.
Why they happen to have those strange values I don't know.

Anyway, the manual was updated more than two years ago, and that
version (available from CTAN) is pretty much definitive, since
development of PDFTeX has stopped. The website was updated one year
*before* the manual, which is why it contains an outdated manual.

Best,
Paul