[pdftex] inclusion of PDF file fails

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Mon Jan 23 08:31:30 CET 2012

>  > > While the `CenturySchL-Roma' font embedded in `BFEx.pdf' is
>  > > version 1.06 (file `c059013l.pfb' from ghostscript), pdftex
>  > > uses `uncr8a.pfb' from TeXLive, which is version 1.05.
>  > > Obviously, version 1.05 misses all Cyrillic glyphs.  IMHO, the
>  > > right solution is to allow font merging only if the font
>  > > versions are identical.
>  >
>  > Is someone going to fix this?
>
> PdfTeX already merges fonts only if they have the same /FontName and
> /UniqueID.

But the concept of /UniqueID has been abandonded by Adobe a very long
time ago:

  http://typophile.com/node/18749

(This link is from 2006.)  So it's actually another bug if pdftex
relies on it.

> However, ghostschript provides fonts with are buggy in this respect.
> They contain additional glyphs but have the same /FontName and
> /UniqueID as the original URW fonts.  I don't know how pdfTeX should
> recognize this.

As I've already mentioned: Use the font's version (1.05 vs. 1.06 in
the example given by me)!  If someone produces fonts which are
different but have exactly the same identifier, nothing can be done
except punishing the font developer.

    Werner