[pdftex] ttf to arm => "no Adobe characters"

Jacques ANDRÉ jacques.andre35 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:15:09 CEST 2012

I try to instal commercial fonts in my own texmf (I'am under  MacTeX2012).
Without using font forge, I use ttf2afm to get the .afm file. However, the result is strange for each character description starts with C -1 instead of the usual C nn
So afm2tfm says : "! no Adobe characters" and the xxx.tfm is empty.

Attached please find
Zapfino.ttf    : a .ttf file
 Zapfino.afm    gained after running ttf2afm  Zapfino.ttf > Zapfino.afm
Zapfino.tfm      gained after running  afm2tfm Zapfino.afm

Where am I wrong ?

Thanks,

Jacques André