[pdftex] "fi" can not be copied correctly in a pdf generated by pdflatex

Eric Marsden eric.marsden at free.fr
Sat Nov 12 10:02:00 CET 2011

>>>>> "py" == Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> writes:

  py> I run pdflatex on the following tex file. In the generated pdf file,
  py> "fi" can not be copied correctly (from say, acrobat). I then tried
  py> latex-> dvipdf, and I can copy "fi" from the pdf file generated in this
  py> way. Does anybody know what is the problem with pdflatex. How to make
  py> pdflatex generated pdf so that "fi" is copiable?

  The "fi" is included as a Unicode ligature in the PDF file. It's
  really a bug in the PDF reader if it can't handle these characters
  (evince on Linux works fine, for example).

  You can work around this problem by using

    \usepackage[resetfonts]{cmap}

  in your document preamble.

--
Eric Marsden