[pdftex] [Pgf-users] How to make externalizing work with xelatex?

Christophe Jorssen jorssen.leraincy at free.fr
Sat May 21 14:43:56 CEST 2011

2011/5/21 narke <narkewoody at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> With pdflatex, I can use '-shell-escape' to compile my latex source
> that contains tikz pictures with externalizing activated.  But when I
> enabled the ttf fonts support with fontspec package and compile the
> modified source with 'xelatex -shell-escape', I got errors and cannot
> pass the compiler.

Hi,

Sorry I do not have a xetex working system. But you can try the
following (untested) :

\tikzset{external/system call={%
  xelatex \tikzexternalcheckshellescape
  -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode -jobname "\image" "\texsource"}}

Don't forget to enable the \write18 feature on your system for xelatex.

Best

--
Christophe