[pdftex] pdflatex, PDF/X and late binding - is there way to specify profile for solid colour?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu May 19 16:34:34 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 04:51:51 pm Andrzej Giniewicz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a "short" question that no local TeXnician I know was able
> answer to, so I decided to ask on list. I want to make PDF/X-3 with
> late binding, i.e. to keep all data in calibrated RGB.

If you tell us what company on what side of the pond you are using we can
be more helpful. I also suggest that since you are laying out the book
yourself in some form of TeX that you deal directly with the printer rather
than going through a "self publishing company" (AKA subsidy publisher.)
Perhaps you are doing that already with e.g., LSI. It is hard for me to
guess from the information you provide.

 Finally I suggest you work in CMYK as early as possible rather than as
late as possible. You will get more predictable results if you do the
conversion to CMYK and not the printer.

I have printed via LSI, Createspace, Lulu and 360 Digital Books. Most U.S
subsidies use either LSI or Createspace. Infinity has their own presses.
Lulu does color work through I think Colorgraphics. I use 360 Digital Books
for color interiors. They have an advanced press that allows them to charge
me color rates only for those pages requiring color.

LSI for color interiors requires PDF X/1-a:2001 standard and other vendors
(Createspace, 360 Digital Books) will accept it without complaint. I have
never found any printer that prefers X/3. In Europe things are different.

John Culleton
Wexford Press
"Death Wore Black"
Police procedural