[pdftex] pdflatex, PDF/X and late binding - is there way to specify profile for solid colour?

Andrzej Giniewicz gginiu at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:51:51 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have a "short" question that no local TeXnician I know was able
answer to, so I decided to ask on list. I want to make PDF/X-3 with
late binding, i.e. to keep all data in calibrated RGB. The output
intent has still to be CMYK (fogra29 in my case as it's closets match
for paper) to keep to the standard. The printer (CMS aware, uses
multiple devices and cannot specify which one will be used to print,
yeah - we are talking about self-publishing company here) will convert
to device specific profile without loss generated by recalibrating
CMYK, just apply the conversion once - I believe it's best one can get
when the printing device is unknown. I have profiles (AdobeRGB1998, as
recommended by printer) embedded in all source (png) images and simple
pdf with image included already verifies in Acrobat as valid PDF/X-3
(thanks to great help from old list post and pdfx package!), but the
standard text colours are afaik in DeviceRGB (is this a problem
actually? I don't have enough experience to tell). I looked trough
some specs and found that if DefaultRGB is specified, it's used where
DeviceRGB occurs (at least, that's how I understand PDF1.3 reference,
page 178 paragraph 2).

I tried something like

\immediate\pdfobj stream attr{/N 3} file{AdobeRGB1998.icc}
\immediate\pdfobj{[/ICCBased \the\pdflastobj\space 0 R]}
\immediate\pdfobj{[/DefaultRGB \the\pdflastobj\space 0 R]}
\edef\cs at AdobeRGB{\the\pdflastobj}

and as I understand I can use it by adding

/ColorSpace \cs at AdobeRGB\space 0 R

to resource dictionary. But because it is to be added to resource
dictionary, I guess it is connected with certain pdf object and cannot
be set globally(?).

Is there a reasonable way to specify in what colour space the solid
colour (say text colour set with color or xcolor packages), and images
without profile assigned should be?

Thanks in advance,
Andrzej.