[pdftex] Strange font name in PDF

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue May 10 11:43:42 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-10 at 16:26:00 +0800, narke wrote:

 > On 10 May 2011 08:23, Robert B. Howlett <rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

 > >> This is a perfectly standard name for a font subset;
 > >> in this case a subset of CMR10.
 > >> The prefix implies that it is not the complete font.
 > >> Different subsets of the same font must have a different
 > >> prefix. When a PDF application finds that a document will
 > >> contain different subsets of the same font, then these
 > >> can be combined.
 > >>
 > >> This naming scheme dates from PDF v1.1.
 > >> It is described in
 > >>
 > >> Ê Ê ¤7.7.4 Ê PDF Reference Manual v1.3 Ê(1999) ÊAdobe Systems Inc.
 > >> Ê Ê ¤5.5.3 Ê PDF Reference 5th ed. PDF v1.6 Ê(2004) ÊAdobe Systems Inc.
 > >> Ê Ê ¤9.6.4 Ê Document management Ñ Portable document format Ñ Part 1: PDF
 > >> 1.7 Ê(2008)
 > >>
 > >> and other versions of the PDF specification documents.

 > >> Sounds like Êpstoedit Êisn't programmed to combine font subsets
 > >> automatically. There is no instance of 'subset' in the docs:
 > >>
 > >> Ê Êhttp://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit/pstoedit.htm

 > >> These *are* standard PDF font subset names.
 > >>
 > >> Êpstoedit Êhas a Ê-fontmap Êoption which may do what you want;
 > >> that is, allow you to map the prefixed font-subset names to the
 > >> full font name, and thereby (hopefully) include the whole font
 > >> (provided you have it on your system).
 > >>

 > >> Others, with experience using Êpstoedit , may be able to confirm
 > >> whether this is possible or not, or give advice on what else
 > >> to try.
 > >>

 > > I believed that one could turn off font subsetting (and include fonts
 > > entirely) by using << instead of < in the map file. Is this still
 > > correct?
 >
 > Is it the pdftex.map file?

Yes, but you can also use \pdfmapline in your TeX document if this
change in only needed for a particular file.  Note that pdftex.map is
generated automatically by updmap and changes there might be
overwritten at the next system update.

 > Should I replace '<' for .enc only or for both .enc and 'pfb'?
 > E.g. :

 > aealbattar ae_AlBattar "ArabeyesArabicEncoding ReEncodeFont"
 > <ararabeyes.enc <ae_albattar.pfb

For the .pfb entry only.

Either

aealbattar ae_AlBattar <ararabeyes.enc <<ae_albattar.pfb

in the map file, or

\pdfmapline{aealbattar ae_AlBattar <ararabeyes.enc <<ae_albattar.pfb}

in your TeX document.  The ReEncodeFont entry is not used by pdfTeX,
so I omitted it here.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25