[pdftex] Maximum Number of PDF Book Marks-pdftex

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:15:03 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 03:58:43PM +0530, Pradeepkumar.Mohanraj-EXT at continental-corporation.com wrote:

> I am working on pdftex I have big pdf document to generated using latex
> file.
>
> Problem I am facing it contains more than 70,000 book marks command so I
> am getting below error message while generating BB.
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [save size=80000].

I doubt that the bookmarks are the problem. If you are using
hyperref, then the bookmark string is converted in a group
with many local (re)definitions that need size on the save
stack, but it's released after the group is closed.
If the save size is near the limit than it's likely that
a bookmark string conversion hit the limit. But the
real problem is something before.

For example, if the document is put in a group, then each
\label or other local definitions contribute to the save size.
Therefore \begin{document} and \end{document} uses a trick
to remove the grouping level of the environment.

A typical programming error is the mixing of global
and local assignments of the same, e.g. if the same
macro is defined locally and globally. That's the
reason of the convention, that even numbers of the
first ten scratch registers (\dimen0, \dimen2, ...)
are for local assigments only and odd register numbers
(\dimen1, ..., \dimen9) should be used in global assigments
only.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek