[pdftex] SVG Graphics

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Fri Jun 10 04:26:43 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 08:13 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> First, such conversions can't be fully automated.  Some projects have a
> homogeneous set of figures that can all be converted using the same
> settings, but for other projects there are often problems with image
> compression, color spaces, etc. that may need tweaks for
> specific images/figures.  Often one needs different conversions for
> different versions of the same document (e.g., when generating
> both online and print versions).   I know cases where the publisher
> required the author to provide rasterized versions of some
> (unusually complex) vector graphics figures.

I would say that that is less frequently the case than the average user.
In the less frequent case you mentioned, there is no reason why what you
asked for couldn't be accommodated syntactically.

> Second, such conversions are not specific to tex-based workflows, so
> we can rely on general purpose tools developed and supported by the
> wider community.  Since these tools are open-ended, any attempt to
> provide hooks from pdftex or luatex would at best provide a partial
> solution.

It still seems as though the makers of Texinfo thought everyone lived in
a world of Emacs and read books in Info format only. I am still not
really convinced that pdftex should require one to go out of their way
to get a simple SVG into a document.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred